So What Can I Eat?
Although the reflux diet may seem very restrictive, there are plenty of foods that are still ok to eat when following the reflux diet. Here are some helpful guidelines when determining what to eat while following the Reflux Diet:
- Grilled Meats and Fish
- Low-Fat Cheeses
- Beans, Soy and other Legumes
- Vegetables - Steamed or Grilled (Avoid Tomatoes)
- Low-Acid Fruit, such as Bananas
- Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes
- Bread and Tortillas
- Pasta and Rice
- Low-Fat Dairy Products
- Decaffeinated Coffee and Tea
- Cookies, Cakes and Other “Sweets” in Moderation
- Single Servings of Cream Dressings Instead of Vinegar-Based Dressings
Note: The amount of fat in a meal can impact the acid response in your stomach. When planning your meals, try to select healthier, low-fat foods. Also, the more “tart” or “sour” a food (i.e., fruits), the higher the acid content. Choose options that tend to be less sour, such as a red apple instead of a green apple.
It is important to remember: the more you begin to plan your meals based on these guidelines, the easier it will become to pick food choices that will be good for helping to manage your reflux. The SLP staff can answer any additional questions you may have in this regard.